Thursday, March 26, 2009

Debt is not a privilege

Preface: This blog is a personal experience of debt and what I have learned from it. At the end of last year I bought a brand new 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport fully loaded w/sunroof, 6-cd changer, premium audio, and a loan.



For a few months I studied the vehicle market and what would satisfy my needs (I could fit in). Actually, I obsessed about buying a vehicle. I would read and create excel spreadsheets meticulously debating what is the right vehicle. Alias! I made the smart move to just "window" shop. I went to the dealership and saw exactly what my heart pounded for a new Highlander. The only question that never begged an complete answer was, "Lance, how do you plan on paying for the car?" Shoot, I had saved enough money to put a "reasonable" down payment...I can buy anything. Let's go in debt!


I sat down with the finance manager wheeling and dealing. Now, I have gotten the payment to something I could afford. Ultra low payments for 6.5 years. Yes, I went to college and studied economics, my common sense light was broken.


Today, I let go of my pride, my greed, my debt. I sold the Highlander for a 10% loss. It was tough to do. I put a lot of prayer and consideration into this decision. God lead me to read 'Total Money Makeover' a few weeks ago. It is written by Dave Ramsey and supplied me with the sense that I didn't have at the time. God spoke to me and I listened to His words of wisdom. He taught me two things: 1. Debt is not a privilege. 2. My money is God's money.


God allowed me to purchase the Highlander because I was greedy to get it. Afterwards he conditioned me to sale it. It was hard to swallow. Sale the Highlander? No! Then that is when I realized my money is God's money.

1 comment:

  1. Yes sir. Very nice. It's hard for me to remember that my money is God's.

    ReplyDelete