Sunday, May 17, 2009

I should have smashed ......

Preface: I am going to start a series of blogs based on Sunday school lessons that Phillip and myself teach to the youth dudes. Hope you find them blog worthy.

How many times have we felt like reaching for a hammer and smashing it over someones head for being angry at them? Or even punishing ourselves over our anger? I'm sure that we all have been in a similar situation.

There are two things you should know about anger.
  1. Anger is not abnormal
  2. Anger is not sinful

First, anger is normal it is an emotion God has given us. Matter of fact God has been angry with his people before. Therefore, anger can not be abnormal.

Secondly, anger can be used like a crowbar. Either destructively or constructively. Wanting to reach for a crowbar and take out our emotions on someone or however you deal with it is destructive. However, a crowbar can be used for constructive purposes.

Here is what God says about anger:

Ephesians 4:26 In your anger do not sin Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry.

Proverbs 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

How do you deal with anger?

P.S. Comments of how I can improve my "blogness" are appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Great blog. I can't wait to read next Sunday's lesson!
    I found your blog because I was looking for other people who like to travel. I would like to share my blog with you. It is a blog about the great travel and shopping deals and so much more. Please check it out. . www.livefreetravel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other thing that people should remember is just because you think it doesn't mean you have to say it. You can speak in anger as long as it is for the purpose of building up. If you speak just for the purpose of getting something off your chest and making yourself feel better then you are probably wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I handle my anger like this: I yell. Not necessarily at the person, but I yell. I pretend they're in my kitchen or my car and I get it off my chest. Usually, that takes the edge off.

    Usually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes a lot to get me really angry so when it happiness I usually do something I'll regret. I'll say something really awful to the person who's made me angry and almost instantly regret it.

    I usually pretty quick to apologize but, I should probably work on controlling my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo- I need to be slow to speak more often
    J- I usually ball up my fist.
    Sam- Regretfulness moments stink...

    ReplyDelete